Tuesday 11 January 2011

Who to support, team or rider?

Cycling is an odd sport! For the outsider it's impossible for them to understand how cycling could be a 'team sport' but those who do understand the game do know that team work is paramount to success! Therefore the fact of having a favourite team doesn't appear to be support for a brand but the support of a group of riders! but how can a fan like all 25 to 30 riders on a squad? will they find the kit presentable? will they find the bikes Beautiful? There are so many variables that consist in simply supporting a team! I wouldn't lose passion for Brighton if Elliot Bennet decided to wear pink boots! and this it what makes cycling a complete opposite from other team sports, I as a football team fan would never now lose support for the Albion and change teams this isn't the case in pro cycling!



The Leopard- Trek presentation was extremely bizarre this included a talented Fixie and a Zebra rolling around in a large wheel! The team is looking like a real dream team for 2011! With a team with Strengths in all fields of the sport! Will they have my support? Not sure yet, Andy Schleck will always have my support as a rider! After following him in the 2010 tour I will never stop having a passion for the rider when I see him climb! the question remains about the team! Do I like the bikes? Honestly, not really I think that the paint job on Madone's are not easy on the eye. Do I like the kit? Well the kit design is nice however I prefer a jersey with larger logos and sponsors covering all sides! Leopards jersey is 'elitist' and for me too plain however the colours are nice! When I watch team leopard race I will support Andy. This may sound odd that I will not support the other individuals on the team, but fans support winners and Andy has my support. There are other riders who I will continue to support from Saxo-Bank Include Dominc Klemme, Jens Voight, and of course Maxime Monfort from his Cofidis routes. Most fans have support for a number of riders all on different teams and would support them regardless of the colour of their jersey!


Many fans support teams because of their nationality this is evident for example by Euskadi-Euskatel! Passionate Basque Fans covering the Pyrenees in Orange so that they can see Samu Sanchez ride passed! they will love this team regardless if they win or lose! Much the same can be said for the Italian Tifoso! With there only being one Large British Pro Cycling Team (Sky) you would think I would follow sky and I do but as It stands atm I have a larger affinity for Cofidis!

For me to support a team you have to fall in love for the atmosphere created by the infrastructure of the team and the riders and what the brands mean for you and the nationality of the team! All though Cofidis are now only Pro Conti Status, in my eyes they are my favourite outfit! A lot of the riders come from Pau! the first rider to inspire myself was Stephan Auge his courageousness in breakaways in the tour inspired me and since then I have owned 2007 Cofidis kit. I like the french nationalistic approach, the French Riders, the French bikes and the Passionate French fans. With my Mother living near Pau I feel a tiny part of that! and I have an affinity with the team and hope each day they race it will end in a Cofidis win regardless of the rider!


However let's be honest, as a rider I would ride for any team who is prepared to pay me money to race bikes!

Buonanotte

No comments: