Monday 17 January 2011

Jobster and a bit more power

Yesterday afternoon I was greeted with a visit from my coach (Nigel Job) he has more knowledge on coaching and everything bike related than anyone I know. He started his Career in Accountancy and has a Degree to his Name. He has also raced a bike at a High standard including races such as the tour of Israel. He has worked as a Coach and Scout for Glendene and can been seen at pretty much every Circuit race in London!

I have been working with him since last March and I really am starting to feel the benefits and my results will prove this, this coming year. I started working with power on Christmas day and after reading 'training with power' and with the knowledge of my coach guiding me in the right direction I have been able to analyse my training and this data will become ever more important with the season coming up! From are last meet my coach thinks that I may be able to challenge the Juvenile 25mile TT national record which Currently stands at 50m 40s which is around a 30mph average! We also concluded that he thinks my build is going to credit itself to both time trails and climbing and thankfully all apart from 2 of the national series include climbs! I can comfortably say I am not going to be a Chris Hoy and put out 2000 watts! My First Appearance will be at Hillingdon on the 29th however I shall be playing a team role but I am excited for some competitive racing!

Any how Using power has so many advantages As I mentioned yesterday I rode Ditchling Beacon and I got a new 4min max power output which was 378 watts. How does this compare to the pro's? this shows Horner's data from stage 17 of the 2010 TDF compared to my Sunday ride data:

Max Power (W)

Chris Horner

Tom Laker

5 Sec

757

705

1Min

469

391

4Min

408

378


you can see that my 4min average is 30 watts less than Chris Horner's however Chris was doing a more sustained effort (the Tormalet) so his will still be considerably higher! However it makes good reading as I am by no way at full strength so expect to see this rise. I can't wait to compare my own data from the Tormalet this summer! (watch this space) Any how the data makes promising reading!

Did a quick 30mins on the rollers to loosen up the legs today and they certainly feel looser I am sure 30mins stretching also helped. Bike felt awesome on the rollers and can't wait to take it for a spin on the road and really feel its benefit, the kinesis is feeling like a shopping trolley (real winter bike)!

Next update won't be till Thursday evening as I have a number of exams in the coming days so need to focus on the college work.

No comments: